I love celebrating Valentine’s Day with some yummy treats. This Valentine’s Day Cake Mix Cookie Bars Recipe is one of my favorites because everyone goes wild for them. I will often make these easy cake mix cookies for the kids to take to school to give out to their friends or make trays of cookies for the neighbors.
Valentine’s Day is about so much more than romance to me. It’s an easy way to show your friends and family that you are thinking of them. So if you need an EASY treat for everyone these M&M cookie bars are exactly what you need.
How To Make Cookies From Cake Mix
Making M&M bars is so much easier than making regular cookies. Don’t get me wrong…I LOVE regular cookies. But when I’m in a hurry sometimes it’s nice to make cake mix cookie bars instead.
First Step: Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Next, pour the cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Then add the pudding and give it a quick stir with a whisk.
Second Step: Add two eggs and melted butter. Mix until well combined.
Third Step: Let the batter rest for 3-5 minutes so the butter can cool slightly. Pour in the M&M’s.
Fourth Step: Pour yellow cake mix cookies into a nonstick pan and bake for 12-15 minutes.
Fifth Step: Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack and let them cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
How To Tell When The M&M Cookie Bars Are Done
You can tell that the cake mix cookie bars are done when they have started to pull away from the edges of the pan. Plus, you can insert a toothpick and it should come out clean. Another way to tell is by touching the top of the cookies with your finger and if it bounces right back then they are done. If it leaves a fingerprint then they need to bake a little longer.
Cake Mix Cookie Recipe Variations
You don’t have to just make this M&M cookie bar recipe for Valentine’s Day! You can easily whip up a batch of these soft and chewy cookies made with cake mix for all occasions. Here are some ideas you can try out:
- Pastel M&M’s – You can trade out the red, white, and pink M&M’s for some pastel colors, which is great for spring and Easter.
- Green M&M’s – Turn these cookies using cake mix into a festive St. Patrick’s Day treat! Use green M&M’s to make them even more vibrant.
- Chocolate Chips – Add in 1/4 – 1/2 cup of your favorite chocolate chips to these box cake mix cookies. They add even more sweetness and will cure your chocolate cravings.
- Nuts – Chop up some pecans, walnuts or even almonds and add them to the cake mix M&M cookies. I would start with 1/4 cup so it’s not overpowering.
- Peanut Butter – Add 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter to the batter to give them a new flavor.
- Chocolate Cake Mix – Go wild and make these double chocolate cake mix cookie bars. They are so amazing with chocolate cake.
- White Chocolate Chips – Add in a few white chocolate chips to the cake batter. It will add some color and irresistible flavor to the super easy cookies.
How Do You Store Cake Mix Cookies?
Store these cake mix cookie bars in a container that’s airtight. They will last 4-5 days, so they are a prime recipe for making ahead. You can also leave the cookies in the pan and cover them tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil as well.
Can I Freeze M&M Cookie Bars?
Yes, these M&M bars can easily be frozen, you just need to wrap them up tightly. It’s important to keep them airtight so they don’t become freezer burnt. I have found these awesome freezer bags that are reusable and they work great for treats.
What Do I Need To Make These M&M Bars?
The supplies to make these easy cake mix cookies are things you probably already have in your kitchen. But, here are some of my favorite things to use for baking these cake mix cookies.
- Cake Mix - Yellow or white (15-ounce box)
- 2 Eggs - Room temperature
- 1/2 cup M&M's
- Vanilla Pudding (3.4-ounce box)
- 1/3 Cup Melted Unsalted Butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Then add the pudding and give it a quick stir with a whisk.
2. Add two room temperature eggs and melted unsalted butter. Mix until well combined.
3. Let the batter rest for 3-5 minutes so the butter can cool slightly. Pour in the M&M's.
4. Pour yellow cake mix cookies into a nonstick pan and bake for 12-15 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack and let them cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 262mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. We do not guarantee the nutritional information, it's only an estimate.
Looking For More Delicious Treats?
Try some of my other favorite recipes that I think you’re going to enjoy!
- 65 Best Easy Instant Pot Recipes – There is TONS of variety with all of these flavorful Instant Pot Recipes. They are a must-try!
- Skinny Strawberry Shortcake Bites – These bites are easy to transport and make lovely gifts too.
- Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air Fryer Bread Pudding – If you love bread pudding you need to try this recipe. So good!