Instant Pot Ham and Beans are incredibly simple and there is no soaking required! Beans, water, salt, pepper, and ham are all you need to make this easy soup recipe!
There isn’t much better than a big bowl of ham and beans and a homemade cornbread muffin. Plus, making a large batch gives you plenty of leftovers too.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No soaking beans required!
- Perfect set it and forget it meal
- Quick to prep
- Everyone loves how great it tastes
- Makes a large batch
- Easy leftovers
- Water or Broth
- Salt & Pepper
- Ham Hocks or Ham
Do you need to soak beans before pressure cooking?
No, you can make instant pot ham and beans without soaking them very easily. They will taste great and it saves you a step.
However, if you prefer to soak them, that is more than fine. Soak with cool water for a minimum of 8 hours. Then deduct 15 minutes cook time.
Can I add more seasonings?
Yep! Feel free to add dried onions, garlic, chopped carrots, celery, bay leaves, onion powder, garlic powder, or anything else you like.
We prefer to make it simple and rarely add anything extra, but don’t be afraid to go wild here!
Do I have to add water?
It’s vital to add water to the ham and beans. Otherwise, you will get a burn notice and the beans will not cook. It’s fine to use vegetable broth, chicken broth, or beef broth in place of the water, but please don’t skip adding liquid.
How do I know when I have enough liquid?
You need to completely cover the beans and have an additional 2 – 3 inches above the beans. Because you don’t soak the beans beforehand they will really absorb the liquid as it cooks.
Be careful not to go above the max fill line in your Instant Pot. Otherwise, it will spray all over your kitchen and could even burn you.
Can I use leftover ham?
Of course! Any leftover ham, chopped ham, or a few ham hocks will work. Use whatever you find on sale or what you have in your fridge that needs to be used up.
- Little Cheddar Meatloaves
- Bierocks Made With Dinner Rolls
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Air Fryer Reuben Sandwich
- Double Smoked Ham on Pellet Grill
- 2 cups dried pinto or navy beans
- Water or Broth
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Ham Hocks or 1 cup Ham
- Parsley for garnish, optional
- Place the beans, ham, salt and pepper in the instant pot.
- Pour water on top until there is 2-3 inches of liquid above the beans. Make sure not to go above the max line.
- Cook on manual high for 70 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 15 minutes.
NOTE: If you remove the lid and the beans are not done on top, stir very well and cook for an additional 10 minutes on high pressure with 15-minute natural release.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.