This Spicy Coleslaw recipe is made with fresh green and purple cabbage, jalapenos, shredded carrots, and is coated in a homemade creamy dressing.
- Why You’ll Love Spicy Coleslaw
- Ingredients for Jalapeno Slaw
- How To Make Spicy Slaw
- Expert Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Spicy Coleslaw Recipe
Summer barbecues, potlucks, and pool parties are on the horizon. Serving some delicious jalapeno slaw is a must this season! It’s creamy and spicy to give you the perfect combination of flavors.
Don’t forget to make Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork to go with it. I promise you are going to love the flavors of the sweet and spice together.
Why You’ll Love Spicy Coleslaw
- It’s easy and only takes 10 minutes to prep!
- Tastes amazing
- Pairs well with pulled pork and other barbecue recipes
- Simple ingredients
- Creamy with a touch of spice
Ingredients for Jalapeno Slaw
- Green cabbage
- Purple cabbage
- Shredded carrots
For the spicy coleslaw dressing
- Spicy mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper
How To Make Spicy Slaw
Step 1: Prep the veggies
Thinly slice the cabbage, shred the carrots, and dice the jalapenos. Place everything in a medium sized bowl.
Step 2: Prepare the coleslaw dressing
Combine the apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise, spicy mustard, sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
Step 3: Add the dressing
Pour the dressing on top of the veggies. Stir well until all of the coleslaw is coated. Serve and enjoy!
- Save time! If you are in a crunch for time, use pre-shredded carrots and bagged cabbage. Then you’ll simply dump and go!
- Make slices even. It’s so important to cut the cabbage, carrots and jalapenos into similar sized pieces. It will be much easier to eat and gives it a more uniform taste.
- Add more heat. To give it even more heat, double the cayenne pepper and add a dash of red pepper flakes. Be sure to add a little bit at a time, so it doesn’t become overwhelming.
- Herbs are nice. Feel free to chop up some fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, or oregano to add even more refreshing flavors.
- Add mix-ins! In the mood for some extra flavor? Go ahead and add some cranberries, sunflower seeds, or even a drizzle of lemon or lime juice!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does homemade coleslaw last?
This spicy coleslaw recipe will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator. It needs to be kept in a sealed container that is airtight. After the second day, it will begin to lose its crunch and may not be as appealing to some people.
Can I make coleslaw for a crowd?
Yes, absolutely! This recipe makes enough for 4-8 depending on how big you make the servings. Simple double or even triple the jalapeno slaw for a crowd.
Spicy Coleslaw Recipe
- 2 cups green cabbage
- 2 cups purple cabbage
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 2 medium jalapenos diced
Spicy Coleslaw Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Shred the carrots, green cabbage, and purple cabbage. Clean, remove the seeds, and dice the jalapenos. Place in a medium sized bowl.
- Prepare the coleslaw dressing by combining the apple cider vinegar, mayo, mustard, sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and cumin in a bowl.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables and stir well. Serve and enjoy!