Homemade sausage gravy is made with 5 simple ingredients, and it’s a delicious dish to feed a crowd. Biscuits and gravy are a budget-friendly staple, too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Simple Ingredients: The recipe calls for basic, readily available ingredients—sausage, flour, milk, and optional pepper—making it easy to whip up with items usually found in your kitchen.
- Quick Preparation: With straightforward instructions, this recipe won’t keep you tied to the kitchen for long. Perfect for those busy mornings when time is of the essence.
- Comfort in a Plate: Sausage gravy and biscuits deliver a comforting and hearty breakfast, evoking a sense of home and tradition with every bite.
- Customizable Flavors: Choose your favorite sausage flavor, from mild to wild, and adjust the black pepper and salt levels to suit your taste preferences.
- Budget-Friendly: This recipe won’t break the bank, offering a delicious breakfast option that’s cost-effective and satisfying.
- Family-Friendly Appeal: The classic combination of sausage gravy and biscuits is a hit with all ages, making it a family-friendly breakfast that brings everyone to the table.
- Nostalgic Pleasure: For many, this dish is a nostalgic trip down memory lane, reminiscent of homemade breakfasts and cherished moments.
- Versatile Serving: Enjoy it for breakfast, brunch, or even breakfast-for-dinner. The versatility of this recipe makes it suitable for various meal occasions.
How To Make Homemade Sausage Gravy
- Cook sausage in a skillet until no pink remains.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over sausage. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add 2 1/2 cups milk, stirring. Optional: add 1 tbsp black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Turn the heat to low. Let gravy bubble, then turn off the heat.
- Allow gravy to thicken. Serve and enjoy!
- Blackstone Griddle French Toast
- Sausage and Egg Casserole
- Breakfast Bombs
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Muffin
Homemade Sausage Gravy
Homemade sausage gravy is made with 5 simple ingredients, and it's a delicious dish to feed a crowd. Biscuits and gravy are a budget-friendly staple, too!Print Pin Rate
- 16 ounces sausage any variety
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk whole or 2%
- Begin by browning a 16 oz roll of your preferred sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat. Ensure there's no pink left, achieving a crumbly texture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour evenly over the cooked sausage. Allow the flour to absorb the flavorful sausage oils for 1-2 minutes, forming a golden roux that adds richness to the gravy.
- Gradually introduce 2 1/2 cups of milk into the skillet, stirring continuously to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Adjust the heat to low, letting the gravy gently bubble. This low-heat serenade allows the flavors to meld. Once the bubbly symphony reaches its peak, turn off the heat.
- Allow the sausage gravy to sit and thicken. This step is crucial for achieving the ideal consistency, ensuring that your gravy clings perfectly to every biscuit.
- Now, your homemade comfort is ready to be savored. Ladle the thickened sausage gravy generously over fresh biscuits, creating a warm and satisfying breakfast that's sure to be enjoyed.
Calories: 474kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 779mg | Potassium: 521mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 332IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 199mg | Iron: 2mg