With our busy schedules, Smoothies have become popular with people for their health benefits and tastiness. These Dragon Fruit Smoothies are not only delicious but the pitaya and chia seed are a healthy addition to this easy recipe.
If you’ve ever seen Pitaya then you know it is a beautiful fruit but it offers so much more than beauty, it is high in vitamin C and other antioxidants which are good for your immune system. During the time of Covid, I know that I am looking for any way to boost my immune system and being able to do it while enjoying a smoothie sounds good to me.
It also boosts your iron levels which is important for moving oxygen through your body and giving you energy. In addition to Pitaya adding the chia seed pudding to your smoothie, you will get added fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, a high-quality protein, and more antioxidants.
When I am not in the mood for a smoothie, I love to make my Ham & Spinach Quiche or Nutella Stuffed Strawberry Turnovers! Or when we are entertaining we love to graze on my Breakfast Charcuterie Tray.
Why this recipe works
- It’s delicious
- Can be frozen
- Boost of healthy nutrients
- Easy to customize
- You can use frozen fruit
For the Chia Pudding:
- Chia Seeds
- Plant based milk
- Plant-based milk
- Almond Butter
Please see the printable recipe card below to view the full directions for how to make cheesy mini meatloaf.
- Make sure that the Pitaya is ripe.
- Freeze your fruits ahead of time so they blend better.
- Start your blender slow and build up until it starts blending then go to high speed.
- If you are going to make smoothies often it is best to invest in a good blender.
- Once it is blended well check the flavor to see if you need to add more of an ingredient.
- You want the smoothie to be thick but still able to drink it through a straw.
What is the difference between Pitaya and Dragon Fruit?
Actually, they are the same. Dragon Fruit is the more common name for pitaya.
Is Dragon Fruit exotic?
Yes, it’s actually a sweet and delicious cactus fruit. It tastes similar to a kiwi or watermelon.
Is Pitaya healthy?
Yes! It only has about 60 calories but is high in vitamin C, iron and magnesium.
How do I know if Dragon Fruit is ripe?
It should be bright, evenly colored, and should give slightly. Stay away from anything with brown splotches or if it seems dried out.
What else can I add to the dragon fruit shake?
Feel free to add mango, strawberries, kiwi or any of your favorite fruits. It’s also really tasty with coconut milk and coconut shreds!
- Slushy Pineapple Rum Drink Recipe
- Instant Pot Pineapple Blueberry Fruit Infused Water Recipe
- How to make Zesty Fresh Cucumber Salsa Recipe
- Ultimate Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
- The Best Instant Pot Lemonade
- Chia Seed Pudding
- - 1/2 cup almond milk or plant based milk of choice
- - 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- - 1/2 cup pineapple, frozen
- - 1 banana, frozen
- - 1 1/2 cups dragon fruit, frozen or fresh
- - 3/4 almond milk or plant based milk
- - 1 tsp almond or cashew butter
- - 2 tsp honey
Chia Seed Pudding
1. Combine chia seeds and milk in a jar. Mix well and place in the fridge overnight.
Dragon Fruit Smoothie
1. Combine the dragon fruit, banana, pineapple, milk, honey, and almond butter in a blender.
2. Mix until combined and drizzle with more honey if desired.
1. Add a layer of chia seeds to the bottom of a glass and top with the smoothie. Enjoy
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.