If coffee is my morning pick-me-up then this Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the boost of happiness that I need to get up and go! This is something about coffee crumb cake that goes perfectly with my morning cup of coffee.
This easy cinnamon roll coffee cake is a perfect dessert to bring for a brunch meeting, baby shower, or even holiday breakfast. It’s surprisingly simple to make and something that everyone will enjoy.
It’s not overly sweet but light and fluffy perfect for breakfast or an after-dinner dessert. You will be the hit of your office when you bring this homemade coffee cake for the morning meeting.
☕ Why this recipe works
- You can adjust it to your preference by leaving out the icing or adding dairy-free milk
- It’s a great dessert to bring to parties
- It’s light and moist
- It can serve a larger crowd
- Most everyone loves homemade coffee cake
- You can make coffee cake muffins with this recipe
- Stick butter-softened
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Sour Cream
- Baking Powder
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream or milk
- Prepare streusel topping by mixing the butter, sugar flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick spray or you can use parchment paper.
- Using a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Once they are mixed you add in the salt, vanilla, sour cream and eggs then mix well.
- Pour in half of the flour and mix well. Once the flour is mixed in well then mix in the rest of the flour along with the baking powder.
- Pour into the baking pan and sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare the icing by mixing the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and cinnamon. Once the cake is cooled drizzle it over the cake and serve the sour cream coffee cake. Enjoy!
💡 Expert tips
- Allow the cake to cool completely before drizzling with the icing.
- Omit the icing if you prefer.
- You can swap the heavy cream for regular or dairy-free milk.
- You can make this recipe as muffins as well.
- Make sure that your butter is softened.
- Keep an eye on the sour cream coffee cake as cooking times vary by oven.
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare streusel topping by combining the butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bow.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine softened butter and sugar. Once mixed, add in the salt, vanilla, sour cream, and eggs and mix.
- Pour in half of the flour and mix. Once the flour is incorporated, mix in the rest of the flour along with the baking powder.
- Pour into the baking pan and sprinkle with streusel topping.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- Prepare the icing by mixing the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and cinnamon. Drizzle over the cake once cooled and serve.
- You can omit the icing if you don't want it.
- Feel free to swap the heavy cream for regular or dairy-free milk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 5g
I'm not a dietician, these numbers can change based on the actual ingredients used. They are here as a guide to help you.
- Best Bread Pudding Recipe with Sweet Potatoes
- Incredibly Easy S’mores Cookies Recipe
- The ultimate Breakfast Charcuterie Tray
- Learn how to make Easy Cinnamon Rolls with Puff Pastry
- Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls with Chocolate Chips
If you tried this recipe or any other, please leave us 5 Stars in the recipe card below. Show us some love and stay connected by joining my newsletter below. Check us out on Facebook or join my Facebook Group for fun giveaways. Also, be sure to follow me on Pinterest too!