Beef is what is for dinner! This shaved steak sandwich is one of our go-to easy weeknight meals. Loaded with thinly shaved steak, onions, and colorful peppers. Add some Swiss cheese on top and add to a hoagie roll and pair it with your favorite side dishes. These shaved steak hoagies are a quick dinner idea.
Shaved steak is pretty affordable at the store, and the best part it is already super thinly shaved so all you do is have to cook it. Since the meat is so thin, this dish comes together in under 30 minutes!
Want to try another shaved steak recipe? Try my Blackstone Philly Steak Sandwiches. This is a game-changer in the Philly world.
Why We Love Shaved Steak Sandwiches
- Easy 30-minute dinner idea.
- Kid-friendly and adult approved.
- This is a one-pan dinner that will make cleanup a breeze.
- Pair with any of your favorite sides, as this main dish is versatile in what goes with it.
Ingredients Needed For Recipe
- Steak – You can buy thinly shaved steak at the store in a package. It is pre-cut so it makes it crazy easy to cook with.
- Peppers – Red and yellow bell peppers are what I reached for. Any colors of bell peppers work for this recipe.
- Onion – A sweet onion is what our family prefers, but you are welcome to change it up if you prefer.
- Seasoning – We used the Whiskey burger seasoning from Blackstone, but any blended spice works. Even a seasoned salt will be good.
- Salt and Pepper – Flavor to taste.
- Cheese – Swiss cheese is what we used. Now you can swap with provolone, pepper jack, or even mozzarella cheese.
- Buns – Hoagie buns are perfect for this recipe. Any type or brand can be used.
- Oil – A little oil is needed for adding that nice sear to the peppers, onions, and steak.
How to Make
Full steps are in the printable recipe card. This is a visual walk-through for the readers.
- Start by prepping your onions and peppers. Wash, and then thinly slice into strips.
- While you are working on vegetables add oil to the cast iron and heat on medium-high heat.
- Add steak to the pan and begin cooking to create a sear on the beef.
- Next add in the peppers, onions, and seasonings. Cook until the meat and veggies reach your desired texture.
- Spread the mixture out on the pan and place cheese on top. Let it melt down.
- Next, you will pile your meat mixture into your hoagies, and serve with your favorite toppings.
Helpful Tip: Toast your hoagies before you add in the meat mixture to elevate the flavor of these steak hoagies even more.
Variations and Tips For Success
Want a few pointers to set you up for success? Here are some go-to tips that will provide the perfect meat and veggies each and every time.
- Make sure your pan is nice and hot with the oil in it before you add in the beef or vegetables. It helps to create the proper sear on the veggies.
- You can cook up the vegetables and beef to your desired texture. I love getting a nice sear on the beef, it enhances the flavor.
- Season with salt and pepper at the end to get the desired flavor.
- If you add in other veggies like mushrooms add it in when you add in the peppers.
- You can use ground beef in replace of shaved steak if you want.
- Leave out the onions or the peppers if you can’t eat or don’t like the veggies. Then just season the meat a little extra for a richer flavor.
- Serve on slider buns or pile on baked potatoes for a different way to serve this up.
Refrigerate any of the meat and veggies you do not eat right away. Then store for 2-3 days in the fridge in a sealed container.
When you want to reheat warm on the stove in a pan, or microwave for a quick reheat. Adding a teaspoon of water to the pan will help prevent the meat from drying out as much as you are heating it up.
You can freeze leftovers but the peppers and onions will be very soft and mushy once it thaws. If you are okay with that, then freeze for 2-3 months. Then defrost in the microwave or thaw in the fridge overnight for a slow thaw before reheating.
These sandwiches are served hot normally. Now if you prefer to eat them cold, go right ahead. But they are best served fresh and warm after cooking.
Consider adding on some mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, horseradish, or other types of condiments. Then you can add on lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, or other vegetables.
You can use any type of bread for shaved steak sandwiches. I used a hoagie roll but you are more than welcome to use rye bread, baguettes, Italian bread of choice, slider buns, etc.
You will add the raw meat to a hot skillet and pan-sear it to create a nice crust to the steak. Make sure it is cooked all the way through with no pink to the meat.
More Easy Dinners
- 1 pound shaved beef thinly shaved
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon seasoning I used Blackstone Whiskey Burger Seasoning, but your favorite will work
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 hoagie buns or bread of your choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat cast iron over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and mix in steak. Stir frequently until steak is about halfway done.
- Add in the bell peppers, onions, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir frequently until onions and peppers reach desired texture.
- Top with slices of swiss cheese and cook until melted. Add filling to hoagie buns, serve and enjoy!